The curved glass back reminds us a lot of newer iPhones
The first thing you’ll notice about the S23 and S23+ is that they’re almost similar, apart from different RAM/storage options and their size. These two phones are set on the sidelines because the Ultra is what really matters. These two phones are far less enthusiastic to talk about because it looks so mundane. However, the design is actually one of the major changes from its predecessor. Now it sports an even curvier look. It’s a nice clean slate of glass and aluminium. No more colour cuts here.
The curved frame as well as its clean back reminds us a lot of the iPhone 14 Pro/Pro Max, and this is especially noticeable when comparing the two side to side. Not necessarily a bad thing, in fact, it benefits the S23 and S23 Plus as they now look cleaner and more uniform.
Starting with the display, the Galaxy S23 has a 6.1″ screen while the S23 Plus has a taller 6.6″ screen. Both of these use the so-called flat Dynamic AMOLED 2x with FullHD+ resolution (2400x1080px) and 120Hz refresh rate and 240Hz touch response rate. Nothing much changed from its predecessor. Also, just like their predecessors, both phones are equipped with IP68 water/dust resistance
The other significant change is that the phone no longer has an Exynos variant (*Europeans cheering in the background) so only the Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 remained. However, unlike other flagships which use the same chipset, Samsung overclocked it so now it has faster read-and-write times and better performance. (1x 3.36GHz Cortex-X3 super chip, 2x 2.8GHz Cortex A-715 performance chip | 2x 2.8GHz Cortex A-710, 3x 2.0GHz Cortex-A510). Both phones come with 8GB RAM and storage options between 128GB, 256GB, and 512GB. However, only the base S23 gets an 8/128 RAM/storage configuration.
The cameras shifted from 12MP to 50MP as well. This comes with two additional complementary cameras: a 12MP ultrawide and a 10MP telephoto with OIS and 10x optical zoom. Not as heavy as the Ultra but also, the primary camera consumes a smaller space, so a 128GB option is justifiable. This makes the Galaxy S23 more accessible. The front camera is situated at the center of the display, and has a resolution of 12MP (from 8MP)
The Galaxy S23 has a 3900mAh battery while the S23 Plus has a 4,700mAh one. They charge at 25W and 45W respectively and both are 200mAh higher than the S22 and S22 Plus. Like the Ultra, there’s 10W wireless charging for both devices.
Both devices have an in-display fingerprint scanner, IP68 water/dust resistance, and the new Corning Gorilla Glass Victus 2 which promises better drop resistance at a more inconsistent angle. Samsung is “commiting” to the environment by using 100% recycled paper for the packaging. Some of the materials used to manufacture the phone itself are taken from recycled plastic.
Both phones come with the same colour options the S23 Ultra have. Namely Phantom Black, Cream, Lavender, and Green
Both the Galaxy S23 and S23 Plus are available for pre-orders in the Philippines. Refer below for prices. The pre-order period lasts until February 23rd.
SAMSUNG GALAXY S23:
- 8/128: Php 53,990
- 8/256: Php 57,990
SAMSUNG GALAXY S23 PLUS:
- 8/256: Php 68,990
- 8/512: Php 76,990
- 6.1″ FHD+ (2400x1080px) 2x Dynamic AMOLED, 120Hz refresh rate (S23)
- 6.6″ FHD+ (2400x1080px) 2x Dynamic AMOLED, 120Hz refresh rate (S23 Plus)
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 (4nm)
- 50MP (Primary), f/1.8, 24mm, 1.0µm, Dual Pixel PDAF, OIS
- 12MP (Ultrawide), f/2.2, 13mm, 120° FOV, 1/2.55″, 1.4µm, Dual Pixel PDAF
- 10MP (Telephoto), f/2.4, 70mm, 1/3.94″, 1.0µm, PDAF, OIS, 3x Optical Zoom
- FRONT: 12MP, f/2.2, 26mm, Dual Pixel PDAF
- OneUI 5.1 based on Android 13
- 3900mAh, 25W fast charging, PD 3.0, 10W Qi Wireless charging (S23)
- 4700mAh, 45W fast charging, PD 3.0, 10W Qi Wireless charging (S23 Plus)
- USB-C, Stereo Speakers, E-SIM, Dual Nano-SIM Card slot
- 5G services, Bluetooth 5.3, Wi-Fi 6/6e, Qualcomm aptX, NFC
- Phantom Black, Green, Lavender, Cream
- 8/128 (Galaxy S23): Php 53,990
- 8/256 (Galaxy S23): Php 57,990
- 8/256 (Galaxy S23+): Php 68,990
- 8/512 (Galaxy S23+): Php 76,990
You must be logged in to post a comment.