This nearly creaseless foldable phone makes the Galaxy Fold like it was made ten years ago
Foldable phones are all the rage these days. Everyone has been trying to outstrip each other by developing foldable phones. The most notable foldable phone is the Galaxy Z Fold 3, but the thing is, that foldable phone, even on its third-gen has a very visible crease in the middle, as if the plastic in it degraded. There are other manufacturers too such as Xiaomi with the Mi Fold, Royole with the Flexpai, the first-ever foldable phone, and others.
Oppo has been on a roll for creatively innovative concepts, such as their rollable phone that rolls inward and outward. Now, the company has announced its latest concept device: The Oppo Find N. At first, it looks like a typical foldable phone we’ve seen countless times. However, see anything different here? This foldable has no visible creases!
The company has been testing and developing the tablet/phone hybrid for a while, hence the reason it came out late. It’s better polished than rushed and you cannot really rush something as critical as this. Oppo has used an 18:9 aspect ratio for the unfolded device though, resulting in the folded phone having an aspect ratio of 8.4:9, slightly narrower than a square. This display is an LTPO AMOLED panel with an adjustable 120Hz refresh rate, and its touch sampling can reach as high as 1000Hz! It has a peak brightness of 1000nits.
Meanwhile, the outer folded display is a 5.49in AMOLED panel with Corning Gorilla Glass Victus protection. This display has a standard refresh rate and a resolution of 1972x988px. The inner folding display is 7.1in. and has a variable refresh rate from 1-120Hz.
You can see this tablet is released late and has been developed over the course of its unveiling as it uses a Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 chipset and not the newly released SD8G1 chip. This SD888 chip is paired with 12GB LPDDR5 RAM and 512GB UFS 3.1 storage. The tablet/phone supports multi-finger gestures and a two-finger split-screen when sliding down the screen. Oppo has also made sure that the transition between the unfolded tablet and the folded phone is as seamless as possible for apps, though it might not apply to every app.
There are three cameras at the back designed similarly to the company’s Reno series. The main sensor is a 50mp Sony IMX766 wide camera with 1.0µm pixels, OIS, and 1/1.156in. sensor size. This is complemented by a 16mp IMX481 ultrawide sensor, and finally, a 13mp Samsung ISOCELL S5K3M5 telephoto camera. There is also a singular 32mp camera for selfies. The phone is capable of doing 4K video with its 50mp main sensor.
For endurance, the phone uses a 4500mAh battery with 33W SuperVOOC fast charging and it also supports a 15W fast wireless charging called AirVOOC. The phone also supports 10W reverse charging. As it is a flagship device, it has support for 5G and dual-band Wi-Fi 6/6E
The phone would be available in China two days before Christmas. Below are the prices:
- 8/256: CNY 7,699 (~Php 60.7K)
- 12/512: CNY 8,999 (~Php 71K)
Sadly, Oppo will not bring this phone overseas which means there won’t be a Philippine release coming. Although this device remained to be a great phone to end the year with because this further proves that foldable phones can be helped and made with no visible creases. Technology evolves everyday and concepts such as rollable and foldable phones are a great example of that.
- Folded: 7.1in. FHD+ (1,792×1,920px) LTPO AMOLED, 120Hz refresh rate, 1000Hz touch sampling rate, 1000nits peak brightness, 370ppi
- Unfolded: 5.49in. FHD+ (1,972x988px.) AMOLED, Gorilla Glass Victus, 60Hz refresh rate, 402ppi
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 5G (5nm)
- UFS 3.1 storage, LPDDR5 RAM
- Sony IMX766 50mp (main), 24mm, f/1.8, 1/1.56in. sensor size, 1.0µm, OIS, Omnidirectional PDAF
- Sony IMX481 16mp (ultrawide), 14mm, f/2.2, 123° FOV, 1/3.09in., 1.0µm
- Samsung S5K3M 13mp (telephoto), 1/3.4in. 1.0µm, 2x optical zoom, PDAF
- FRONT: 32mp cover camera f/2.4, 26mm, 1/2.74in., 0.8µm
- VIDEO: 4K@30/60fps (main), 1080p@30fps (front), gyro-EIS
- 33W SuperVOOC fast charging
- 15W AirVOOC wireless charging
- 10W reverse charging
- Side-mounted fingerprint sensor, no 3.5mm jack, NFC, colour spectrum sensor
- Bluetooth 5.2, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/h/n/ac, 2.4GHz/5GHz
- Black, White, Purple